January 28, 2007

Congratulations, Universe. You win.

"The only you love and the one who loves you are never, ever the same person." - Chuck Palahniuk

A guy in my class likes me but it is not Virigina. Naturally.

Tech--a self proclaimed tech geek--is not my type in more ways than I can explain. He's over thirty, he's bald, he's overweight, he has a weird voice. He is nice, and smart, and I like him as a classmate and as someone to play video games with. Otherwise, I'm not interested. Most of his stories go back to his long military experience. (Virginia also served in the army for a short time and though I know little about it, it doesn't seem like he's one of those brain-washed army guys. You know the type I mean.)

Tech has been tugging my pigtails in class like a fifth grader. Today he tried to flirt via text message which was bad timing on his part. Late last night, he accidentally texted me a line about "you're too drunk to drive - call me when you're done and I'll pick you up." Obviously it wasn't meant for me -- not that there aren't times where that sort of thing is more than appropriate. A few minutes later he texted back apologizing for the mistake. "Oops, Lady, your number is right next to my friend's." Awesome.

I should say, he only has my number because of our class' contact list, so the fact that he apparently programmed my number into his phone at all is slightly aggravating. Needless to say I don't have his number in my phone so I had no idea who the text was from (could have been from a whole list of people - I lost my cellphone recently and a lot of numbers with it).

This morning I sent a quick reply, mentioned it happens to everyone, and left it at that. He asked if I knew who he was. I said no but didn't ask. Needed coffee, not dumb phone games. He sent: "That makes it kinda more fun. You must be curious who would have your number programmed when they're not in your phone."

Annoyed, I sent back a "not really." I assumed it was a past bad date whose number I no longer had and got more annoyed. He responded by offering to play a game of 20 questions so I could guess who it was. I stopped answering after that, though I wanted to send a "not interested, jackass," or a "who the hell do you think you are, asshat?" My silence worked and the texts stopped.

Hours later, I figured out it was Tech when I was looking for someone else's e-mail and saw the familiar number on the list. I was glad it wasn't Virginia since the exchange ticked me off but it means the bits of flirting from Tech aren't in my head like I'd been hoping. Bummer. Why can't the guy I like be the one who likes me? Just every so often, like maybe twice a year. Is that really too much to ask, Universe?

And what makes it worse is that game guys sometimes play, the Claim a Chick or whatever. You know, when Guy1 says, "I like Megan," and no one else can ask Megan out because Guy1 "staked his claim" even though Megan thinks he's repulsive and likes Guy2 or Guy4. I know girls kind of do that too but guys are more adament about it.

I am so close to giving up and getting a cat.

3 comments:

Red Photography said...

That's from Invisible Monsters, isn't it? I love that book.

Lady Latte said...

Yeah it is. Me too! Palahniuk is some kind of genius.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, "first dibbs on that chick" is a well established Man Rule. Usually the guys that don't obey Man Rules are either Third World Dictators or the type of guys who end up sleeping with fifty chicks and giving half of them VDs. Just find some way to start rubbin' up on Lt. Virginia. If he likes you that always works. And if that doesn't get his attention, nothing you can ever do will ever work with him.