January 2, 2007

“Wink” At This!

Before I really start this dating blog, I have to get something off my chest: I loathe winks. Or woos. Or whatever your particular dating site calls them. A “wink” is a way to let someone know you’ve seen their profile and like them, without actually sending an e-mail. You hit a button and the dating site will notify the object of your lazy affections.


The point is, it’s useless. Sure, it alerts someone that your profile exists and they should give it a gander. But it’s the bar equivalent of saying “hey baby” to everyone who walks into the door. Yeah, you’re there. I see you. Now make me want to talk to you.


I understand the idea behind these winks or woos, the concept that it’s an easy way of saying you’re interested. I just don’t respond well to them. I’d prefer to receive a short e-mail with a few lines like:


Hey,

Noticed you like cheese and space ships. I once ate "space cheese" at summer camp but I think the other kids tricked me and it was just moldy cheese. We seem to share common interests. Perhaps we could meet up for a drink sometime?
-- Guy From DumbDatingSite.com


Is that so hard? I mean, you’re asking for a chunk of my time and a possible date. Spend a minute or two to get my attention. Yeah, you might have to read the person’s profile to make sure you do, in fact, have things in common, something I’ve found a lot of online daters neglect. But it’s far more likely to get a reply.


Thanks, I feel better. Now maybe I can bring myself to register at Nerve.com. That’s my homework.

No comments: