January 27, 2007

Pre-Date Show

I have a date this afternoon. At least I think it's a date. (Oh god, I don't even know.) It's with a guy I met from MySpace, god help me, though I've met up with him for a drink before. I can't remember who initiated contact but I assume it was him since I don't troll MySpace for friends, let alone dates. After months of replying to each other's blogs or comments, he asked me to meet up for a beer. We had a good time (and several beers). I made both him and the bartender laugh with my whacky "I Hate Waiting Tables" stories but I felt that I was doing the majority of the talking. I tend to be a conversation hog so I can't fault him. We had fun but no sparks.

Plus he tends to be a pessimistic downer which is one of my dealbreakers. One point in our conversation, he said, "I just don't have anything to do since I stopped smoking pot. I just sit around and do nothing..." Then he looked at me for an answer. I shrugged. "Find a hobby, something you love to do." I hate guys without inspiration or imagination. He's the type of person that wants someone to raise his spirits for him and that's not a burden I want to shoulder. Maybe he was just going through a bad week but you shouldn't bring baggage to a date (or a drink with a stranger).

So why the hell am I going out with him again? I'm socially retarded.

We met up in December but he was starting a new job and I was leaving for the holidays, so any future plans wouldn't be for over a month, and I love to procrastinate. When he said, "We should meet up again," I agreed. And we did have fun, even if I found myself more amusing than I found him.

It's also another case of "I blew him off, I blew him off, I owe him a date." As in he's asked me a few times and I've had an excuse ready - I was sick, I was too busy, etc. Never did I just say "No thanks."
Also, because I wasn't sure if it was a date the first time around, I didn't want to say "I'll gladly have another drink with you but only as friends."

I've been so anti-social lately that it's good for me to get out.

*sigh* Guess I'll see what happens. And if karma decides to hit me with a truck on the walk to the bar, I only have myself to blame.


No comments: