January 11, 2007

I Don't Love Anyone

Until I pay for it, I've given up Nerve.com. Instead I've been turning my attentions to OkCupid.com, a site I've used before. It never deleted my profile so I went in, updated some details, added a more recent photo, and voila. For two days it's been up and I've gotten about ten e-mails and almost dozen "woos". This is progress.

Four of the winks were from e-mailers. What good does it do to send a "wink"-like thing to something after you've sent them a letter? Does that reinforce the idea somehow? Do they really think I'll read their profile and e-mail, decide against them, and then see the "woo" and change my mind? Online daters, sheesh.

Two of the e-mailers seem cool. I will compose witty reponses and hope for the best. With OkCupid, as opposed to other dating sites, the first e-mail is usually a direct "let's go get a drink" which is fine with me. Time spent not met is time wasted if the physical attraction's not there. Oddly enough, three of guys who sent messages are from Illinois (and all of them are handsome in the dorky sort of way I like). Perhaps fate is telling me to pack up and move to Chicago. Perhaps that's where all the cute single guys are hiding.

I ran into Friend's Friend at school last week. He was in line for the registrar with a male friend. He really isn't my type. He's my height (and I'm short), he's bald which he chooses to make up for with a beard, and he wears those ugly puffy vests. I don't usually like bald guys or facial hair. But these are all things that I wouldn't bat an eye at if I liked him. I don't. I stopped and said hi, asked if he knew where my classroom was (he didn't) and went on my way. I think this short hello where I avoided any comments like "hey let's get a beer sometime" combined with my lack of e-mail communication has proven effective. He's yet to send another e-mail. Yes, I should have been a grown up and e-mailed him to explain that I don't see us going anyhwere. If he e-mails me again, I will tell him. Otherwise I'm going to let it go.

Fuck, there go the last vestiges of my dating karma.

Ah vell, I still have my many unattainable crushes: Agent Sealy Booth (aka David Boreanz) of Bones, the lead singers of most indie bands, Ilan from Top Chef, of course Captain Jack Sparrow, and for some reason Malfoy from the Harry Potter books (I'm rereading book 6). Oh, and the entire band Belle & Sebastian. Think I can marry them as a group and live on their tour bus?

No comments: