January 5, 2007

Wring the Profile: Harder Than It Should Be

It's lazy, yes, but it's true: I have been starring at the Nerve.com profile page for an hour and cannot bring myself to fill it out.

For one thing, I don't have a good recent photo. I'm as photogenic as a stock of asparagus; it literally takes fifty photos for one to resemble me, without my eyes shut or tongue out. I have this bad habit of making a screwed up face the minute a camera is on me, and besides, I'm almost always the one taking the photos when I go out. It's rare than someone snaps one of me. And most of them are taken when I'm falling-down-drunk which is never a flattering look.

Well forget the photo. I have older ones that still resemble me, although recently I've dyed my hair a different color. I can get away with one of those until I can snap a new one.

Normally I love to talk about myself. This blog is a good testiment to that. But I look at these questions and just sigh, roll my eyes, and remember the bad dates I've been on from similiar profiles. These sorts of questions ("describe your personal stye" "what would you do with a million dollars?") make me feel like a contestant on Miss America or Top Model.

As for describing what I'm looking for, I couldn't be worse at this. Of course I have an idea of what I want in a boyfriend but of all my past relationships, none of the guys fit into a certain mold. And of course, those didn't work out, so are they even a good basis for what to look for? I know what I like: sense of humor, sponteneousness, boyish at heart but still able to be an adult. If I write a vague description, I increase the chances of meeting people, but being too vague will lead to a pleathora of bad dates.

Why is this so hard?!

[Edit: An Hour Later: It is Done! Now I just have to wait 48 hours for the site to approve it.]

No comments: