January 21, 2007

vs. Online Dating Commercials

Match.com: It's okay to throw up a little in your mouth.

As if Valentine's Day alone weren't enough to make single women feel fundamentally wrong about not receiving chocolates and jewelry. Thanks to the Online Dating boom, now not only do we have to gag through diamond commercials (which are probably mined by slave labor), we have to see a hundred ads from Match.com and eHarmony telling us that we
could find a soul mate if we'd just try. And by try I mean slap down a wad of cash, go on loads of bad dates with people who look compatitible on paper, and then wonder why after all that we're still single.

I'm not saying Online Dating doesn't
work, I'm saying it's not a miracle cure for singledom. It's like anything other form of dating: it takes effort and work and bad dates to find a significant other. Or dumb luck but no one will pay for that.

Besides, what's wrong with being single? I've only spent one V Day in the throws of romantic coupledom. It was a nice night, but so were a lot of our nights together until the relationship started breaking down. I'm single and alone today, on January 21st, drinking tea and researching a project for school. I don't feel bad about it today. Why should I on Feb. 14th?

The sick joke is I probably
will feel bad on the 14th because I am socially conditioned to do so. I blame sitcoms. And Hallmark. But that doesn't mean I want to see a commercial for an dating site every five minutes during the Studio 60 marathon.

3 comments:

Red Photography said...

On-line dating and I are currently on the outs. I suspect that there are far more good looking, interesting, smart women in the DC area doing it than men, and that as a result, the few viable male options have their pick of dozens of women, and thus have little reason to be respectful and attentive to the ones who they are seeing. It's pitiful.

Lady Latte said...

I feel it's that way in Seattle too. Of the few guys I liked that I met through the web, no one seemed interested in more than casual dating , and while that can be fun, eventually I'd like to have a real relationship. If it's not even a possibility, what's the point?

Downtown said...

Oh Valentine's Day. I figured I made it through this year, buy planning on having drinks/dinner with my single friend. THEN, THEN, my friend invites me to a Saturday Valentine's party which basically equates to speed dating (over a meal course) with a table of four gals and four guys. The guys move on after each course.

Honestly? Can you imagine something worse? Not only will I be turned down by 20 guys who I spent 5 minutes with (aka the regular speed date), but I will have the chance to cast 20 men out of the possible dating potential pool in the course of a dinner.

Please! This is the last way I want to spend my Valentine's Day.

bring on the red wine