February 4, 2007

Why MySpace Should Be Destroyed

Seriously, MySpace is a like a robot. Its inventor had good intentions but soon it was out of control and now it cannot be saved, it must be destroyed. I really need to stop falling asleep to the Sci-Fi Channel.

Yes, I use MySpace. I got suckered in a while ago, made a profile, and put up a few photos. My friends and I send each other stupid comments or YouTube videos or disturbing pictures of David Hassolhoff. This is not our main form of communication but it's a good way to make each other laugh when we're bored. It's silly but it's harmless fun. My profile indicates I'm just there for friends and networking and I hardly add people I haven't met in person as a friend.

For the record, I do not have a problem with retarded bulletins (easily ignored) or countless friend requests from stupid indie bands (easily deleted). Even the dumb "I Like Your Profile" e-mails are good for a laugh.

The main problem with MySpace (and sites like it) is that it creates a Casual Internet Society with an overblown sense of false familiarity. Here are two tips for MySpace users, care of me, because apparently some of you need to be told the obvious:

1. Just because you've read my profile does not mean you actually know me. Sure, you know what movies I love or what TV shows I watch, and what's in my CD player. This does not make us instant best friends, especially if we've never met in person. There are hundreds of different people who like many of the same things.

2. Even if the site indicates I'm "online," I am not necessarily at my computer. I have a mild form of ADD, wherein I get distracted easily. Seriously, wave a shiny object in front of my face and I'll lose my train of thought. This means that I'll often walk away from my computer while logged on to sites like MySpace and do something else entirely. Sometimes I leave for work and all day MySpace broadcasts "online now!" when I'm miles away. This is a problem when people send me messages like "hey, you bored? let's go get a drink!" expecting me to get them immediately, when really I get them a day later. Said guy gets offended, etc. etc. Look, if you want to contact me send a text message. I'm ten times more likely to get that.

There, I've aired my grievences. Time for some beer and some football.

Happy Superbowl Sunday!!

4 comments:

Milwaukee Girl said...

Myspace is just trouble, especially in the dating sense! Thank goodness all my friends are actually people I know ... great blog by the way!

Anonymous said...

you should try facebook. it's much more stalkerific.

Lady Latte said...

milwaukee: yeah, I don't use MySpace for dating but someone people I date end up on my MySpace as friends (big mistake to add them I suppose) and then use it instead of, you know, a phone.

tiffany: so I've heard. Thus far I've avoided it but it's only so long before Facebook drags me under as well.

DarthImmortal said...

My Space has a many other problems too. Check this out for a laugh:

http://neutraltopics.blogspot.com/2006/07/mydumb-assspace.html