February 5, 2007

my math teacher hates me

Like many people who have hopped from community college to community college, I have an exceptional number of college credits, not one of them math. At least none of the transferable ones. In other words, I am exactly one math class short of an AA but because the remedial-get-to-the-stastics classes I took at my old school don't transfer, I am stuck retaking them.

Because it had been three years since my last algebra class, I bombed the placement test. I cannot retake it for 90 days, so, the school reasons, I might as well start taking the long chain of math classes I'll need before I get the one class I actually need. Make sense?*

My class is the lowest one and worse, it's a night class. This means I am stuck in a room with two dozen them middle-aged people who have not seen a multiplication problem since the days of the abacus. The reason my math teacher hates me is that I am obviously annoyed and frustrated in the class. I have a pronounced lack of patience and a habit of rolling my eyes - these are deep personality flaws and I'm trying to fix them. If I groan a little when someone asks, for the fifth time, what an exponent is, it's an unconcious reaction to the torture that is Math 180.

The teacher will not, for any reason, give us the homework until the very end of class, so in order to keep up a good grade I'm forced to sit there through the lectures and day dream about jumping out the window. Meanwhile the book explains everything like it was written for third graders (I have a suspicion it was) so even if I get confused, it takes me half a second to look it up. It is not my classmates' faults that they don't get how to add fractions or divide decimals and that's what the teacher is there for; however, I do get it and don't need to stick around banging my head on the desk and wishing she would give me the damn assignment already so I can go home, crack a beer, and watch Wife Swap.

Someday soon I will actually post about dating. As soon as my dating life actually starts up again.

*No, actually, it's bullshit, but sadly that is the system.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, remedial math sucks. And night classes suck. Why not show up when the class is almost over; They don't take attendance do they?