February 23, 2007

Doesn't Seem So Smart in Retrospect

Note to self: If you feel a cold coming and are craving Vitamin C, orange juice is a good idea. Mixing copious amounts of vodka into said juice might not be.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to offend anyone from Virginia. I love it there! It's beautiful (especially in the fall) and people are very friendly. However, a lot of people I've met from there and South Carolina are still a bit touchy about the Civil War, especially this guy I've dubbed "Virginia". That's not say it's racism (it isn't) because the war, to a lot of people, was about state's rights versus the supreme power of the Federal government.

And a commentor brought up a good point. "Sic Semper Tyrannis" is a lot cooler than Washington State's motto "alkai" which translates to "by and by". Not much conviction in that one, is there?

Crap, I'm running a bit late. I have to shower and get ready for work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I like by and by too! It's like the 1880's version of "whatever" :)

Southerners still get juiced about the Civil war because they basically don't like the rest of the country. Given New York's ban on tasty trans fat french fries and ipods in the crosswalk, I can kind of understand where they are comming from. On the other hand, they should appreciate having someplace to go in their country that isn't 90 and humid three quarters of the year.

Anonymous said...

You've got to gargle the vodka on the way down. Then it counts as medicine!

How could you not like Lincoln? That's totally nuts, has he ever read any of his speeches? I personally believe that the framers intended states rights to be an order of magnitude greater than they are at present, but seriously WTF? It's hard to gloss over that slavery thing in my book. In fact, I would say it can't be done without throwing in a big "yeah, but" and "yeah, but"s are the first sign that a weak argument will follow.

Lady Latte said...

"How could you not like Lincoln? That's totally nuts, has he ever read any of his speeches?"

Yeah, I know. I have "With Malice Toward None" tattooed on my arm.

But a lot of people don't like Lincoln. They argue he was a crap politician (I disagree). At the time of his Presidency, he wasn't well liked. Not as bad as Bush but Union as well as Confederate newspapers ran editorials to the effect of "Someone Shoot That Bastard". It's easy to see why Booth thought he'd be a hero for doing what he did. Lincoln did a lot of things, because it was a war in this country against half this country, a lot of people thought were unacceptable. He did what he had to, IMHO, but you know.

Anonymous said...

Well, tatooing them does seem to be a bit much :) but they were pretty epic. Politics is an ugly business, you're never going to be popular with everyone if you take a stand on anything, even eight score years ago.