February 16, 2007

Nightmares and Dreamscapes

One of the things about being single and living alone that is not often discussed is the Nightmare Paradox. It is not scientifically a paradox, mind you, but it sounds cooler than "nightmare problem".

Because of a certain medical problem, I've been watching a lot of TV. (Okay, damn it, I broke my leg a few months ago and am at the tail end of recovery. That's why I've been putting off dating - I do want to get back into it but the big ugly brace is no turn on, nor is hobbling around, plus I've gained a good solid 15 pounds from sitting on my ass. The leg wasn't supposed to take this long to heal.) So much TV that at some point it started to mess with my head. Especially bad are late-night marathons of
The X-Files or reruns of Law and Order. Too many of these types of show start infesting my subconscious and suddenly I'm having crazy nightmares about aliens and supernatural killers.

Which is fine. I'm a big girl. They're
just dreams. I wake up, get some water, go back to sleep. But sometimes that creepy feeling doesn't want to go away. When I'm not pathetically single, sleeping next to someone makes it easier to shake nightmares and tell myself "hey, X-files is fiction, you're being silly, there is no monster hiding in your closet, go back to sleep!" However, being by myself with a refrigerator that makes funky noises and a dark, empty apartment is less forgiving.

Okay, I'm going back to bed now. There is nothing under the bed. Really, I am too old for this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For GOD sakes don't watch the movie White Noise if you are having that problem!!!! I had to drag my dog into the room to sleep with me for a month after watching that movie. Also, I might not watch any of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies either. Maybe you should just go by some comedy seasons on DVD and watch those at night :)

londongirl said...

I do the same thing and have had to learn not to watch scary stuff late at night.

Romantic stuff is out too though otherwise I get over-emotional.

Stick to comedy I suggest! Laughing's also good exercise...

Milwaukee Girl said...

You're never too old to be scared stiff, just recently watched "Cat's Eye" from the early 80's ... the cat saved this kids life from a soul-stealing troll. I just about lassoed my cat to the bed to protect me ...