April 9, 2007

Apparently I Do Have to Spell It O-U-T

So the situation that I thought had been resolved apparently wasn't.

This became clear tonight when I opened my e-mail and found a letter from Friend's Friend. In it, he asks what my week is like and, well, see for yourself. He writes:

I'd like to either buy you lunch or cook you dinner, under a date-ish pretext since last time we were just hanging out.

And I was floored. Because I thought we were at that level of understanding. Apparently not. I explained the situation to male friend. "Is there anything a girl can do -- short of spelling it out for you in tiny words -- that would indicate you are never getting in her pants?" My friend said some guys can take a hint, but many do in fact live in a state of constant optimism.


Which is understandable to me. I don't pretend to understand guys and lord knows us women are great at giving out mixed signals. Like how us "hanging out" signaled to FF that I liked him. But I thought the whole post-kiss e-mails sort of cleared that up. Here's what I wrote to him after the kiss-attempt:

"The truth is I'm sort of a happy, flirty person and I tend to be all giggly and happy with everyone, which if you've only met me a few times might give the wrong impression. I'm sorry I may have led you on?"

My guy friend noted that while this implies I only like him as a friend--and most people would get it--obviously FF is a bit stubborn. Or slow. Something like that. "You'll have to come out and say, 'I only like you as a friend,'" he told me.

Apparently so. But how annoying. I know us girls are confusing, but when I am appalled at your attempt to kiss me and then send you a letter explaining that I am SORRY if I LED YOU ON, it should be more than clear how I feel about you.

Right? Right? GAH!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you can still tell him your gay....

Milwaukee Girl said...

Damn straight!

Gaby Hess said...

Clearly it's lost in translation. When he read your message he thought you meant to be more persistent.

Someone should invent the Girl to Guy and Guy to Girl dictionaries.

Anonymous said...

How much of his stuff did you end up smoking, and did you pay for it? Maybe he thinks it's like buying a girl an expensive dinner, he wants his output.

Anonymous said...

Catherinette - I think that's it. Like maybe I'm playing "hard to get" or something? Cause I do that, but never that hard.

Anon2 - Yeah, no. I took like a toke. And he's just dense or misunderstanding the whole thing or something.

londongirl said...

Gah indeed. Spelling it out can feel painful but it sounds like your only option.